Pae-lo – A Delicious Thai Dish That You Can Cook
Pae-lo – Recipe
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 -1.5 hours
Seasoning: Pae-lo Powder
Ingredients – Method 1: Dry Spices for Roasting
- Star anise x 2
- Cinnamon x 1 stick (about 5cm long)
- Black peppercorns x 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds x 1 tsp
- Cloves x 4
Method 1: This method takes a little extra time, but will produce a superior taste. Roast the dry spices (star anise, cinnamon, black peppercorn, coriander seeds, cloves) in a wok or heavy based pan until the flavour is released. Transfer to a mortar & pestle and grind the dry spices into a fine powder.
If you live in Thailand you will probably be able to buy a Pae-lo powder from the local markets or make it yourself from the raw ingredients, however if you do not have access to all of the ingredients or the pre-prepared powder blend, method 2 will still produce a delicious Pae-lo.
Method 2: A short cut method using Lobo brand of Chinese Five-Spice Blend (Pae-lo Powder) to produce basic flavour. This can be purchased from most good Asian grocery stores, (see photo below), and is added during the cooking process.
- Thin Soy Sauce x 5 tbsp
- Dark Soy Sauce x 1 tbsp
- Sweet Soy Sauce x 2 tbsp
- Palm Sugar x 100gram (crushed in a mortar & pestle)
- Salt x 1 tsp
- Garlic – 3 gloves (peeled and minced)
- Coriander Root – 1 root (bruised & chopped)
- Eggs x 4
- Pork Strips x 4
- Chinese White Radish(chopped) x 1 cup
- Pae-lo Powder (Chinese Five Spice Blend- Pae-lo Powder – Lobo brand) or your own Pae-lo powder blend (as per method 1). x 1tsp
- Water – 3-4 cups
- Stir-fry oil (Canola) x 2 tbsp
Cooking Instructions – How to cook this Thai dish
- The eggs will need to be hard boiled, peeled and set aside to cool.
- Cut the pork strips into 50cm pieces with the fat left on.
- Heat the cooking oil in a medium sized pan or a wok until hot.
- Add the minced garlic and coriander root to the wok/pan and stir-fry for about 30 seconds or until golden brown.
- Add water, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, palm sugar, salt and the Pae-lo powder, mix well and then bring to the boil.
- Add the pork pieces and whole hard boiled eggs and continue boiling for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the Chinese white radish, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 -1.5 hours or until the hard boiled eggs are dark brown in colour.
After you have finished cooking, serve up to your guests with steamed jasmine rice.